Friday, February 19, 2021

Precipitates

 Update: My kids are struggling with the idea of determining solubility rules.  After the kids watch the video from precipitates and complete the chart, I am going to have my class write the formulas.  Next, I’m going to have them make two columns: clear, cloudy, or solid.  Clear compounds are soluble: cloudy or solids are precipitates and insoluble.  Once, the two categories are complete, the kids will look for patterns to determine groups of compounds which are soluble.  I’ll let you know if this approach helps.


My Co-op Chemistry class is working through the exercises from TEKS, Precipitates.  My kids are creating the ion chart from the video lab.  Have your teen write the formulas for the ions and precipitates.  As I teach Stoichiometry, I review nomenclature, equations, reaction prediction, balancing equations, molar mass, and mole calculations—all the skills the kids have learned.  Below is one student’s chart.  See how your teen could write the formulas?



No comments:

Post a Comment

This year I’m pulling up all the stops to get things organized. How?

 This year is going to be different! Ha! Who hasn’t said that?  But, I’ve implemented some changes.  I put together a series of lessons whic...