Quick Update: Goodwill online often has molecular models. Search with ‘molecular’, ‘molecule’, and under kits.
Christmas Break looms large. We are taking a break from balancing chemical reactions to learn organic nomenclature. First I review an Introduction to Organic Nomenclature and draw several examples on the board. I have the kids copy the names of the first ten Alkanes. Yes, I use terms such as parent chain, substitute St, and functional groups. Once I’ve drawn a few hydrocarbons, I build a molecule or two to compare it with those on the board. Then I throw the kids right into the worksheets, which view, condensed structural formulas, line formulas, and molecular formulas. After. The kids have completed five molecules, I have them build the five with the molecule kits to make the connection in their heads. Trust me this approach works.
I use these worksheets: WS 10.4 and WS 10.7 I also have the kids build the molecules they name. I bought these models online at Goodwill, over a few years because I use them for Biology, Chemistry, and Physical Science. You could make your own kits. I recommend marshmallows or clay models. CPK Coloring represents the traditional colors for the atoms.We use three different kits to build the organic molecules: Moly Mod, Molecular Vision, and Molecules of Life.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment