Thursday, June 4, 2015
Summer Science: Octopuses NSTA book Recommendation
Each week, the first grade class at the private school where I teach, visits the library adjacent to my classroom. The children pore over the books before making their selections. 'Octopuses' by Laurence Pringle is the type of book children reach for again and again. The illustrations by Meryl Henderson practically leap off the page. The book had me at 'octopodes'; the original term for an octopus is 'octopous', Greek, not Latin (p.4). So, the plural is octopodes or octopuses. Exactly the type of nugget young scientists love to catalog! Did you know octopuses may be as smart as a dog or cat? Octopuses are captivating invertebrates and 'Octopuses' examines the species, its anatomy, habitat, feeding habits, means of camouflage, and defense mechanisms. This book is one of the 'strange and wonderful' series published through Boyd's Mill Press. 'Octopuses' is a gem. The author writes clearly for his elementary-level audience; the book could be read to a class of second or third graders as part of a science lesson. The content is scientifically accurate with interesting terms, such as chromatophores and radula. I am a sucker for hidden pictures and hunted on pages 18 and 19 until I found all six. Yes, there is a key at the back of the book (p.31) if you are stumped. Best of all, the book sparks questions! How does an octopus release a captured arm? Why does the arm wiggle even after it is detached? What type of chemicals are in its ink? 'Octopuses' ends with a picture of an octopus holding a jar with a crab inside. Did you know octopuses can unscrew and remove stoppers from jars? I had heard stories as an undergrad about octopuses who climbed out of their aquariums to hunt a treat before returning to their tanks. This book is imaginative, interesting, and engaging. It gave me an idea for my Biology class this fall: write and illustrate a children's book about an animal species of their choice. I will launch the assignment by reading this book!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment