Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Apologia Physical Science: Modules 14 and 15 Sound and Light

Our Co-op Physical Science class has two more sessions.  So, we are going to do Experiments 14.1, 14.2, 15.2, and 15.4.  Additionally, I have quite a few materials for optical illusions, color mixing, etc. for summer science camps.  One activity the kids are doing is the Exploratorium's camera obscura with Pringles' cans, which works!  Another favorite is CD spinners or CD patterns.  This earlier blog post has the original link for a series of CD templates first published in the June/July 2010 Family Fun magazine.  This original link is buried on a Disney site.  However, Mocomi's site has good instructions and another pattern.  I also have a Colorama kit for the kids to try.

So what about Sound?  Have you heard of the Exploratorium's Head Harps?  Tomorrow, the kids will try Head Harps with spoons and hangers, cotton string, and yarn.  I want them to experiment with the length of string or yarn, too, to see if it matters.  The Exploratorium Snacks has these ideas and loads of other experiments.  The Exploratorium has published a number of science books, such as one of my favorites, The Science Explorer, from which I have drawn ideas for years!  I will have the kids take plenty of photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...