Sunday, November 12, 2017
Apologia Chemistry: Heat Sources
One tool common to science labs is the Bunsen burner. Home-school and Co-op setting frequently use alcohol burners. When I taught in public school there were students who just acted like nimrods in class. I got in the habit of using electric burners whenever possible because they were so much safer. Last week, we used tea candles and Sterno to heat Hydrates for Lab. Stern has dyes added to make the flame more visible; it isn’t suitable for flame tests—we’ll have to use alcohol burners for that lab. We tested adding small amounts of the salts to tea candles with mixed results. These color flame candles are a good alternative for flame tests. Whenever possible, we’ll be using electric burners in lab.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment