Friday, June 21, 2019

Human Biology: Circulation Beginning with Heart

The class is working on circulation.  First the kids took a quiz to trace the flow of blood through the heart to the lungs, back to the heart, through the heart, and out to the body.  I want the names of the arteries, veins, atria, ventricles, and valves.  After the quiz, we reviewed their answers.  We'll need to quiz again.  After the quiz, the kids used a paper heart model, glued it to a paper plate and thread blue and red yarn through the heart to represent the flow of deoxygenated and oxygenated blood through the heart.  (I did this is Apologia Young Explorers Human Anatomy a couple of years ago.)  The kids labeled the heart and thread the yarn through.  I find any hands-on activity of this sort drives home the concept, in this case, flow of blood through the heart.  We went over this Circulation slide show and began the Pulse and Blood Pressure Labs.  The kids had trouble locating their pulses on the carotid and radial arteries.  Huh.  So, I sent them outside to run and jump.  Then they could locate the carotid pulse.  We barely began the Pulse lab before we ran out of time.  The homework is to locate a pulse.   Next week, I'm quizzing on the skeleton and flow of blood again.  I find I need to quiz on the skeleton or muscles fairly often for the kids to learn and retain the information.  Here are a few pix of the heart model.









No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...