Thursday, October 25, 2018
Apologia Biology: Cells: Catalase Lab
This week the class has done the Catalase Lab both days. The concept is important. Catalase is an enzyme in peroxisome organelles in the cell. Its job is to break down hydrogen peroxide, a type of waste in the cell. Yeast produces catalase. But, the reason I'm doing this lab is to practice lab skills: names of equipment, how to measure, weigh, read volume, controlled variable, hypothesis, graphing.etc. The list is long. The particular emphasis was on controlled variables: the amount of yeast, the water temperature, duration to soak discs in yeast solution, etc. The kids did the same lab twice. Today, I had four of the girls (who had nearly finished Tuesday) work with different groups to help get them on track. I also switched two groups. I think I have good partners now. Now, after three hours of lab, most of the kids have data to graph. Tuesday, we're going to review the graphs, answer the questions, and discuss the Claim-Evidence-Reasoning strategy for the lab. Here are a few photos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment