One topic I use as a project is called Designer Babies. Should couples design their own baby? Our local Co-op is Roman Catholic. (We welcome every family; our perspective, though, is Roman Catholic.). What are the implications of designing your baby? We look at IVF and embryo selection. But, we consult the Catholic Bishops for Church teachings. One publication we use is Begotten, Not Made. This publication explains Catholic teachings especially regarding IVF, which the Church opposes. The kids will examine IVF, gene-based embryo selection, preimplantation genetic testing, polygenic risk scores, CRISPR gene-editing, savior siblings, egg donation, and three parent techniques. Every time we explore the topic of Designer Babies there are new developments with new ethical challenges, complete with sensational headlines. My kids are going to work on the project over Christmas Break and discuss the topic with their families in light of the teachings of the Catholic Church. I’ll post good samples. BTW, I send out a letter to the families about the project in advance. Let’s tackle thorny issues in science!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment