Yes, I’m back on one of my favorite topics, basic equipment on a budget. My husband, Rob, and I teach several science and math classes for the local Co-op: Biology, Chemistry, Physics, and several, different math classes. Since we teach Biology, Chemistry, and Physics regularly, we have invested in basic lab equipment. I’ve canibalized several eScience kits. However, we use simple materials you can find at Walmart, Dollar Tree, Good Will, Amazon, or Temu. Start by recycling containers, milk jugs to hold water, yogurt cups for reactions, craft sticks to stir, and wooden coffee stirrers for flame tests. We keep a box of measures: tape measures, rulers, protractors, and spring scales. We keep a stash of balls for Physics and safety glasses for a variety of labs. Plan supplies based on the course you are teaching. While I invested in dissection trays, you might use a styrofoam tray instead, especially if only one teen is taking Biology. I bought several used dissection kits on Good Will for Biology—mainly for the lab experience. Any sharp blade works equally well. Save your money for a digital scale and a graduated cylinder. We use cupcake paper liners as weigh paper. Start scavenging thrift stores for materials. Let your kids help organize them into kits. What are you waiting for? Let’s do more labs!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...









No comments:
Post a Comment