Apologia Chemistry: Still Working Out Moles or Stoichiometry
We're still working on Stoichiometry. Really. My goal is to complete Flinn's Can You Make 2 Grams? lab. Today, we're doing a lab on solubility and precipitates, similar to this one. The kids make a data table and record whether or not a precipitate forms. (See the video below.) ( I brought extra chemicals to Co-op today to allow the kids to make some solutions, too. I want them to use several skills. Ideally, they would make 1 M solutions. In reality, they mix a little compound with 50 mL of cold tap water.) After they record their reactions, the next step is to predict patterns to understand solubility rules. I began by telling them all of the reactants are soluble and exhorted them to react all the chemicals with lead II nitrate and silver nitrate. Once the kids have teased out solubility rules, they're going to write and balance the double replacement reactions for the combinations which form a precipitate. The goal is to understand precipitates, solubility rules, and review double replacement reactions--all in preparation for the 2 Grams lab. Really.
Update: Today we spent the class mopping up Beanium, The Mole Lab, Precipitate Lab before finally beginning the 2 Grams Lab on Thursday.
Update: First, here is a copy of the 2 Grams Lab with the balanced equations, molar masses, and grams of reactants. Today, we completed the lab!!!!! Next week, we're writing the Lab Report Rubric (Here is an example from former students.) I even have photos!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment