Thursday, January 26, 2023

Chemistry on a Budget: Burners

 And hot plates!  Here is an article about using sand baths for glass beakers on hot plates.  A post on social media suggested making a simple sand bath with sand in a mini-aluminum pie plate for beakers on top of a hot plate.  I use wire gauze under glass beakers on hot plate burners.


This post could be labeled Chemistry on a Shoestring!  We use several tools to heat chemicals.  We use electric burners to heat most solutions.  But when I heat chemicals in test tubes, we need a different source.  The Hydrate or Percent Composition lab works best with a Bunsen burner.  We used cans of sterno, instead.  We were running out of sterno; I broke out the two alcohol burners.  Here are detailed instructions to use a wickless alcohol burner.  Here are detailed instructions to use an alcohol burner with a wick.  My alcohol burners were in science kits I bought through Good Will.  Here is the most important piece of information!  The wickless burner uses denatured ethanol; the alcohol burner with a wick uses rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol).  We dumped the alcohol down the drain after lab concluded—just to be safe.

I loathe alcohol burners.  I worry about fires endlessly.  Sterno usually works fine.  However, if you supervise the teens closely, these burners are fine.  If you have a gas stove at your home, use it to heat test tubes.  Be sure to turn on the hood fan. Do you have a camp stove?  This works well for heating test tubes, too.  





No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...