My teens in the Chem Co-op are working on the reactivity of metals lab. This is an inquiry lab based on Flinn’s Activity of Metals lab. I used this lab and this lab as guides and background for the metal lab. We used aluminum foil, mossy zinc, iron nails, steel wool, copper shot, copper II sulfate, zinc sulfate, magnesium sulfate, and a little silver nitrate. Foiled Again! Uses copper II sulfate, copper II chloride, sodium chloride, and aluminum foil. Use what you have on hand. The goal is to see which metals are more reactive. You can do this with drops in a reaction place, according to the directions in this lab. I let the kids use plastic cups and make dilute solutions of the compounds, roughly 0.1 M solutions. This is an opportunity to teach molarity. I’m going to have the kids determine the concentrations of each solution, too. Below are pix.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...



No comments:
Post a Comment