I have had loads of experience hosting science camps, VBS, and various outreach events. In another life, I told teens to the local elementary school and spent the morning leading 150 kindergarten students through a dozen experiments. But, many people are intimidated by the idea of planning an entire camp. Let me share a few more tips.
1. Don’t go it alone. Enlist a team. Our church in WV had a home-school Co-op which met for math and science. Our church also hosted two Head Start classes in the Knights’ building behind the church. The kids in the Co-op science classes helped plan quarterly outreach events. We led 24 four year olds through five rotating stations. There were ten kids helping, with the Head Start teachers on stand-by. I don’t lead a station at events; instead I trouble-shoot to make sure things are moving along. I always need help. Ideally, I recruit adult help. However teen help is often more available. My husband partners in nearly all of these events.
2. Create a team of moms. Is this your first time trying to host a science camp? Get a few mom friends together. Go over the activities. Have a list of materials required. See who already has some of the materials. Ask each mom to help with camp and lead an activity.
3. Keep Camp limited the first time. Do a few trials. Right now I’m constrained by space. I’m limiting Science Camp to ten kids because we’re using my basement and backyard. Try a morning of science or a one day camp. This will help you gauge how long activities take. BTW many times you need more activities than you expect.
4. Prep with your volunteers. Encourage volunteers to arrive 15 minutes early. For me that means having the teens over to review all of the activities. I show them where supplies are. Ideally we make samples: Cartesian diver, vortex tube, etc. The kids know to help themselves to supplies. Each morning we make sure we have everything ready. Volunteers stay to help clean up and sort supplies each day after Camp.
5. How old are your campers? I’m comfortable having kids ages 4–12 as campers. Usually kids ten and up are teen helpers. It depends on the child’s leadership qualities. In one case, Pia, eight led kids in her group who were ten and eleven who just wanted to participate. The first time, it’s prudent to target kids ages five to ten. Children under five might not be ready.
Try it! You and two other families try a morning of science. Pop a bowl of popcorn for Snack. Look over Joy of Toys. See what you have on hand and do those activities. Get feed-back from the moms and kids. What worked? What was just too hard? Use this experience to boost your confidence.

No comments:
Post a Comment