The Chemistry and Physical Science classes are both graphing with TI 83/84 calculators and the GraphNCalc 83 app ($5.99) on an iPad. As I mentioned before, the TI 84 has EasyData software preloaded. This EasyData Manual explains what EasyData is, the equipment required, and a few easy lab experiments to get started. TI 83 plus and TI 84 plus both have the software. The TI 83 plus calculator can be used with several Vernier lab interfaces, such as Labpro or older CBL models. The TI 84 has a mini USB port which connects to the Easylink adaptor. Vernier has some probes which connects directly. Vernier also has elementary sensors, Go! Link connects to the USB port on a laptop. The Logger lite software can be downloaded free from Vernier's website. These are very affordable ways to add technology to your classes inexpensively. The Easylink thermometer is $39 and the Go!Temp thermometer is $38. It pays to check Ebay, Goodwill, etc.
I remember being very intimidated initially. I worried my students would be short-changed if they did not have exposure to some technology. We have been using the digital calculators and doing some graphing exercises with the goal for the kids to collect and analyze their data. When I first got started, I began with some graphing exercises to familiarize the kids with the calculators.
1. Using Technology for Data Collection goes over everything!
2. Create a Scatter Plot
3. Next, try entering data and evaluating the plots with Vernier's Finding A Relationship.
4. Graphing Data with EasyTemp will give you more confidence. Remember that the data collected is stored in the Stat files on the calculator. Once the data is collected, try to graph it and plot a regression model.
Start with simple steps. Even if you are just using the probe as a digital thermometer, you are incorporating a little technology!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment