Wednesday, November 5, 2014
Apologia: Chemistry Update
In addition to a lesson on graphing, the Chemistry class did Experiment 5.1, the width of a module exercise. (Width of Molecule Lab is similar.) This particular lab is excellent! The kids learn a little about calibration, the mole, etc. we reviewed the math together using graphing calculators to show the kids how to enter exponents and locate the pi or square buttons. The kids came away with a better understanding of molar mass. I did the calculations earlier and lead the Chemistry class through the calculations, step by step, indicating the keys on the calculator as we went along. Naturally, the class felt a little lost. We are going to take things slowly. Next week, the kids will start by weighing moles and doing a percent composition lab before a lesson on mole calculations. The kids started to work on ChemActivities 1 and 2 (Exercises) (POGIL is another inquiry-based approach. I first learned about POGIL at a chemistry workshop and this approach can be valuable. I like to vary instruction and have found some of these exercises to be useful.). (Chemactivity Keys)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment