The Acids and Bases unit lends itself to a host of labs and activities. PhET has a good virtual lab.
One activity I always use is an acid base sort. I pull a bunch of household materials: baking soda, Epsom salts, vinegar, tums, lemon juice, clear soap, clear soda, apple juice, ammonia solution, table salt, etc. the kids use litmus paper and broad scale pH paper to determine whether the material is an acid or base. The solids must be dissolved in water before testing. I like the kids to create a data table with both the common names, chemical names, and chemical formulas to reinforce these skills. Here is what I mean by a table
Common Name. Chemical Name. Formula. Acid, Base, or Neutral
Baking Soda. Sodium bicarbonate. NaHCO3. Base
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment