Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Apologia Chemistry: Module Ten Acids and Bases
Today, the Chemistry classes started a lesson on acids and bases. Dr. Wile has a simular experiment in Module Ten. My version on Household Acid and Bases is my way to hook or engage students. I rummaged through my stash of travel size products: mouthwash, shampoo, hand sanitizer,etc. Next, I shop my kitchen for lemon juice, apple juice, soda, baking soda, etc. Finally, I sour the bathroom for Epsom salts, rubbing alcohol, basically, any clear substance. The kids use reaction plates to test each product. Solids must be dissolved in water before testing. If you click on the link above, there is a picture of the chart I use for this lab. We had used up all of my pH paper and universal indicator earlier. I did have phenol red and phenolthalein, PHTH. The kids used the PHTH which is clear in acids and pink in bases. After they did the tests, I gave them a Vernier pH sensor which connects directly to a TI 84 graphing calculator with an EasyLink, using EasyData, a software program preloaded on the TI 84 calculators. The kids also recorded the pH for each substance. I like the kids to make summaries to draw some conclusions. In the next lesson the kids are going to learn how to dilute acids and make solutions of different molarities or concentrations.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment