Today, we began with a blood type Punnett square quiz. I drew the Punnett squares on the board as a quiz. For example, I crossed Ao with oo, AA with Bo. The quiz required the kids to complete the Punnett squares and describe the phenotypic ratios or percentages. For example, the cross between Ao and BB results in 50% Type AB and 50% Type B. Their respective genotypes rTios or percentages are 50% AB and 50% Bo.
Next we performed the simulated blood tests and then used the Eldon card kits to test their blood types. I ordered refill kits and used pages 6,7, and 8 as data sheets for the lab. (Ms. Brown is the patient. Her blood type is A+. Donor 1 is Mr. Greenand his blood type is B-. Donor 2 is Mr. Jones who is A+. Donor 3 is Mr. Smith who has O- blood type.).
Lastly, we did the Eldon card blood tests. These mini kits have the lancet, card (the antisera is dried on the card.). alcohol wipe, mini-pipet, and four stirrers. Most of the class did their blood tests. I did not insist. One child used my blood for the tests. My blood type is O-; it's useful for comparison. O- does not clot with Antisera A, B or rH. I was pleased with the class today--right up to the moment one of the kids spilled a water bottle. Here are a few photos.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment