We're starting Genetics with a genetic traits inventory and make a baby lab. The only materials you'll need are PTC paper (available on Amazon) and pennies. The kids love doing the genetic traits inventory. This slideshow has images with the human traits. I used two different inventories because I wanted the kids to see as many traits as possible, including 'Vulcan fingers' and 'Hitch hiker thumb'. The Baby lab uses coins to determine genotypes and phenotypes. (Heads are the dominant gene and tails are the recessive trait.) I like the use of coins because the traits are random, too. We graphed the traits for the class-just to make sure they remember how to graph. Here are some pix.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment