Friday, March 24, 2017
Apologia Chemistry: Ionic Compounds
I ran across some resources that reference Claim-Evidence-Reasoning and correlate to ionic and covalent compounds, a basic concept in Chemistry: The Ionic vs Covalent Lab. This is the section I use Flinn's Putting the Ions in Their Hands to teach kids how to write ionic compounds. (Copy the cations or positive ions on to red card stock and the anions or negative ions on to blue card stock. I often copy the ion reference sheet on to yellow card stock, too.). At this point I like to do Forming and Naming Ionic Compounds, too. This lab, Ionic Compounds Properties Lab uses, salt, sugar, potassium chloride (salt substitute), magnesium sulfate (Epsom salts), and copper sulfate (easy to buy-even on Amazon). The Virtual Lab Conductivity correlates well, too. I think this lab would make a good assessment at the end of the lesson to predict if the substance is Ionic or covalent!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment