Tuesday, May 21, 2019

Apologia Chemistry: More Summer Prep

Yes, I am a nerd.  I’m gearing up for fall already.  This summer I’m teaching Human Biology, prepping for Chemistry, and helping my husband plan for Statistics this fall.  Right now, I’m focusing  on graphing exercises.  Yes, before you ask, the kids should be able to graph on paper before using graphing calculators.  The issue at my house is the graphing calculator.  My husband loves Excel and loathes graphing calculators.  I browsed the statistics textbook he plans to use.  High School Statistics textbooks require graphing calculators.  This summer my husband and I are graphing—often.  I like to incorporate graphing in Chemistry and teach the kids how to use graphing calculators.  In public and private schools, the math teachers do use graphing calculators—largely for upper level math classes, especially Statistics.  I use them in Chemistry so that my Co-op kids have exposure to graphing calculators.  (My husband does Excel exercises in Physics for the same reason—exposure before the kids go to college.).

This temperature conversion exercise and teacher or lesson guide is a good place to begin.  Is this the first time you tried your graphing calculator?  This start-up guide is perfect.  We use both TI 83 and 84 graphing calculators.  (I do not like 85, 86, or 89.). The Ti 83 and 84 are widely used in high schools and colleges across the country.  I bought most of my collection from www.shopgoodwill.com.  Be sure to see check the description to see if the calculator operates.  If the image at Good Will has a smudge on the screen, it means the calculator is about to die.  I do not pay more than $15 for a used TI 83 because any used calculator is a gamble.  I’m going to watch Amazon on Prime Day this summer for any deals on TI 83 or 84.  I want a second TI 84; it connects directly to Vernier’s EZ Temp temperature probe,  converting the calculator into a digital thermometer.  This lab activity uses the EZ Temp probe.   My science classes use the calculator with the probe all the time in lab.  The EZ Temp probe is $38 on Vernier’s website.  Watch for probes on EBay for less.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...