I teach Biology to home-school families. I use Christian Biology textbooks, any Apologia Biology edition. I assured the families that Evolution and Sex Education are not part of my curriculum. The single chapter on Evolution is read at home and discussed as a family. Sex Ed is strictly a family subject. We discuss Bioethics from an orthodox Roman Catholic world view which values life from the moment of conception to the moment of natural death. My job is to support the home-school families, not undermine their beliefs. So, I stick to Apologia’s textbooks. When the kids do a unit on Bioethics, all of the families are advised well in advance. Lastly, parents are always welcome to join my classes. I have had many home-school parents sit in class for months just to be certain the science instruction was consistent with their faith. In a society seemingly intent on eroding family values, I’m determined to teach Biology as a science, not as a soapbox. Apologia it is!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment