Monday, June 14, 2021

Portfolio Season

 In Science, just as in every subject, it’s essential to document everything.  My Co-op students are members of several online home-school programs.  I try to make the science class work easy to document.  This year was entirely remote.  The kids submitted everything electronically.  I saved submissions in a folder in Gmail.  When kids submitted work, I loaded tests into Jamboard, graded assignments, took screenshots, and returned the graded work.  The kids took photos of labs for submission.  The grades are in Google Classroom and available to download into a spreadsheet.  The result is a robust sample of the work assigned.  There is plenty of evidence that the Chemistry class was lab-based.  The lab reports are saved in Google Docs, ready to submit.  Is it a pain?  Absolutely.  I want my kids to earn high school credit for my Co-op Chemistry class.  I make a point to document everything.  I even send my blog address to online home-schools with work samples and lab photos.  Families can take the photos, Docs, and links and save them in a spreadsheet for submission as a portfolio of work completed.  Job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...