Tuesday, June 1, 2021

Let’s prepare for Biology!

 Biology can be an expensive course: microscopes, dissection supplies, lab gear, etc.  Here are a few tips.  I own several microscopes I bought used.  However, my students use inexpensive, USB digital microscopes with laptops.  (The Jiusion is fine.). Make sure the microscope works with your laptop.  Most are.  Order it from Walmart or Amazon so it’s easy to return if the microscope is incompatible.  Buy a set of 25 Microscope slides.  (The price to beat is $14.). The goal is for kids to practice looking at microscope slides and making sketches.  

My students build, draw, and analyze Biomolecules with molecular model sets.  (The price to beat is $20.). Save money and craft your own molecular models, especially if you have clay on hand or like to make clay.  

I buy specimens for dissections from Home Science Tools (HST).  My students dissect all seven specimens.  Two or three students share specimens.  If you must economize, dissect the fish and frog.  HST sells both individually.  

The last big ticket item is individual blood test kits, such as the Eloncard blood test kit. I shop eBay and Amazon to find kits for under $10 each.  

Now is the time to look for deals for prepared microscope slides, molecular models, and lab specimens.  Preserved specimens in sealed bags, carefully stored, are fine for five years or so.  Message the seller to ask how old the specimens are.  Remember, HST has excellent prices for specimens. I recommend  the Biology Coloring book to save on copies.  Next fall, I’ll post loads of inexpensive labs and activities.  It’s not too soon to shop for fall.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...