I’m planning Modules 13 and 14, (Modules 11 and 12 in the third edition), Plants or Botany. Along with slides of plant parts, we’ll do the experiments from the textbook. The kids will do both fruit and flower dissections. We are starting with this Apple Dissection. The instructions have all of the fruit parts labeled. Here and here are fruit dissections guides for other types of fruits and vegetables. Here is a list of different classifications and examples of fruits. Olives are drupes; cucumbers are pepos. My kids will both dissection, draw, label, and classify fruits and vegetables(which are also fruits, biologically.) I hope to locate lilies to dissect, sketch, and label.
Buy a box of spinach leaves for Chromatography and Photosynthesis labs. I am experimenting with CFL, incandescent, and LED bulbs to see if the light source changes the rate the spinach leaves rise. (The bulbs have different emission spectra. Will they change the rates of photosynthesis? Frankly, I don’t know. I asked my husband, who teaches Physics. He just grunted. So we’ll have to test and see.). Yeah! The kids can graph the timed results in spreadsheets. Anyway, the labs involve a trip to the grocery store.
No comments:
Post a Comment