Monday, June 19, 2023

Science Camp: Day One

 Yeah!  Let’s start Science Camp. I am a hypocrite. I’m using loads of kits for Science Camp.  I bought MEL kits, the FOSS set, COSI kits, and the Thames and Kosmos sets from Good Will.  I got good deals on all of the kits.  The kids are completely thrilled with the kits and excited to keep them.

 Things are kind of split into boys and girls.  The boys are thirteen and the girls are eight.  Their preferences differ tremendously.  The girls tried using butterfly tea as a pH indicator. Mainly they explored color changes using baking soda, citric acid, sudsy ammonia, and vinegar.  The girls were enthralled with mixing and changing colors for any hour.  Next the girls worked with Fizz Wizard and Jammin’ Jelly  (Here, here, and here are several, similar experiments.)  My husband, Rob lead the experiments, insisted on learning new terms, and performed every lab exactly as described.  The girls used balance from the FOSS kits I bought from Good Will to weigh Pokémon toys.  The girls played with Crayola 3D chalk and made bracelets.  (The girls love crafts.  I alternated crafts with science.)


The boys started with the MEL Tin Science kits.  (I bought refills of stannous chloride and sodium bisulfate at Amazon.  We used the kit in Chemistry and Physics.)  Next we moved on to my stash of Physics kits.  I bought loads of kit for my husband, Rob’s Physics classes.  He hasn’t used any of them—ever!  I asked the boys if they wanted to try the kits and then keep them.  (I have a dozen.)  At thirteen, the boys still love building kits and were excited to keep them.  What a win.  We’re cleaning off several shelves.  My girlfriend is taking extra supplies home for Co-op. The boys spent the entire morning doing the Chemistry Kit and playing with the Remote Control Machines kit.  












No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...