Saturday, August 12, 2023

Biology on a Budget: Cheap and Free Activities

 My teens do many labs and activities.  We start with Ecology.  Let me share some of my favorite activities.  First is Camouflage.  Here is another Camouflage lab using colored construction paper and floral fabric.  You need to use a hole punch to make 100 small disks for each group.  The lab suggests timing each trial at 30 seconds.  I’ve found that 30 seconds may be too long of a time period.  Sorry, I don’t have any pix.  I’ll try to remember to post photos when we do the lab this fall.  

The Lynx Eats the Hare is another favorite; it demonstrates predator-prey relationships.  Here is the slideshow I prepared with the data graphed.  Just below are pix showing the game set up.  We repeat the simulation at least twice.




Another Ecology lab we do is Mark-Recapture with white beans.  Here is a slideshow explaining how ecologists estimate populations.  Below are pix from the white bean, mark-recapture, lab.





Here is Bean Biodiversity.  Biodiversity can be measured several ways; the relative biodiversity is a measure of an area’s resilience.  I have bean mixture with at least 15 different types of beans I use in Chemistry for the Beanium Isotope lab.   All of these labs use inexpensive materials, such as construction paper, painter’s tape, and dry beans.  All of these labs offer high level, Bio instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...