Tuesday, April 28, 2026

Delta Science or FOSS

 Delta Science has been around for a long time.  Currently, Delta Science is now FOSS, sold by School Specialty.  These kits (often in drawers) occasionally pop up on eBay.  (I bought one at GoodWill.)  I have evaluated any number of kits; FOSS materials are superior.  Here’s the rub: locating the investigations guide.  The readers aren’t hard to locate; however, you’ll find very similar titles.  Delta Science has changed the names of its programs over and over.  The content and activities have NOT changed substantially.  

I just found a Levers and Pulleys drawer for Physical Science.  The price was $62.17.  


There are issues.  The video is VHS.   Booo!  I bought a DVD and found a link with an overview of the investigations.  Here is the YouTube video.  I made a request to cancel the DVD order.  I might end up with all three VHS, DVD, and YouTube versions.  


I bought a copy of the reader to use with the program.


These kits are amazing.  I had a similar saga when I bought the FOSS kit pictured in the post.  I bought the reader, first.  The reader doesn’t have any activities.  Where are the activities which coincide with the kit?  What is the name for the teacher’s guide? The answer is  ‘Investigations guide’.  I did a deep dive before I had all of the resources.  

If you are persistent, the DELTA/FOSS kits have excellent materials.  New kids are prohibitively expensive.  The books are sold separately.  These types of kits are sold as curriculum for schools.



No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...