First, I use Apologia’s Chemistry textbook for my high school classes. Additionally, I bought five MicroChem Kits used with the manuals. As a parent these two resources are plenty. What about teachers, especially those in small private school or who teach for Co-ops?
The textbook alone has a bunch of labs; combined with the MicroChem kit you have a year’s worth of labs. I’m bothered by individuals selling labs for teachers—even with collections of notes and slide decks. There is loads of labs available for free. The issue teachers confront is how to find additional labs. We end up googling topics, such as percent composition lab.
I have plenty of labs. I’m never content to have enough. I’ve taught Chemistry long enough to have an opinion. The best collection of labs is in the 2005 Prentice Hall Chemistry textbook. The textbook is fine, too. However, both the standard labs and the Quick Labs (in the textbook) are superior. Many of the labs I use, such as Percent Composition lab, derive from this textbook. (Here are lab instructions.) The teacher’s textbook is available used at reasonable prices. The reason I like the used teacher’s edition is because it has notes and sample data, along with descriptions. The Quick Labs do not require fancy equipment; they’re designed for classrooms with limited resources. If you teach Chemistry often, this is a worthwhile investment.




No comments:
Post a Comment