For many of us, lessons and classes are winding up. Our Co-op is on tract to end the first week in May. We always finish before the end of May. Start planning a big summer project! Many plans have math, science, and physics components. I have stared down the long days in summer and created lists of activities and projects myself. Let me give you a few ideas.
PVC Projects: Marshmallow Shooter, PVC Chair, Periscope (this version uses paper and a CD), and Bubble Wand. My grandfather made bubble wands he demonstrated and sold at flea markets in Florida. Get your mini entrepreneur excited about selling wands or chairs.
Hydroponics: Hydroponics Made Easy (for kiddos), Hydroponic Tubs, and Grow Bucket. Our family tried hydroponics a few years ago. I had had systems in my classroom and had grown lettuce for the cafeteria. I thought my husband, Rob, would like hydroponics. He did not. At all. We donated the system to a local school. He didn’t want it in the house. At all.
Build a Little Free Library: Modern Two-Story, Turn an Appliance into a Free Library, Lazy, Little, Library, and
Bird Boxes and Bird Feeders: Nest Boxes (free plans for loads of types), Pine Cone and Bird Cookies, Classic Bird Feeder, and Kiddo Bird Feeders. The birds do not care what color the box or feeder is painted.
Raised Beds: Plans (has three alternatives), Simple Raised Beds Plans, and Nine Free Project Plans. Kids Gardening has suggested themes, such as Victory garden, sensory garden, or lasagne garden. Grow a Pizza Garden for the win. Plan to enter goodies in the local fair this summer. You may want to enter baked goods. Test recipes you might enter.
Volunteer, Shadow, or Apprentice. Now is the time to ask friends and family for leads. Shadow a vet. Volunteer at a park, Discovery Museum, or arboretum. One summer I volunteered one day a week for the local Discovery Museum. All I did was clean up after kiddos. This role did not require a master’s degree. Be sure to ask about the volunteer job description. I didn’t answer a single science question all summer. Make sure the volunteer job at the park isn’t just cleaning up litter. The local library is another good source of service learning projects, such as hosting a science demo day—not shelving books.


No comments:
Post a Comment