Wednesday, April 22, 2026

Here are some of my favorite sites for experiments!

 When I need ideas, there are several reliable sources of engaging experiments, which do not cost a fortune.  I need to site Lessons from Educational Innovations.  These lessons have ideas for their products, such as The Drinking Bird—really sound ideas.  Below are my favorite websites.

1. Science Bob’s Experiments come with images, videos, instructions, and explanations for simple experiments such as The Exploding Lunch Bag.  His homepage is obsessed with Elephant’s Toothpaste.  (BTW, the kiddo version of Elephant’s Toothpaste requires 3% hydrogen peroxide and yeast.  The explosive version requires fresh 30% hydrogen and sodium iodide, a catalyst.  You should only do the second version if you have experience with chemicals.)

2. Another celebrity scientist is Steve Spangler.  His site is full of familiar and imaginative experiments, such as the Balancing Hex Nut Challenge.  I have to try this for Maker Camp.  I’m going to be busy in May.  My husband, Rob, likes to have a model for every experiment.

3. Toys from Trash literally shows how to make toys from trash, such as the Pencil Spinner.  Be sure to look at the Free Films.  I stumbled upon Arvind Gupta’s website years ago when I was planning the first Joy of Toys science camps.  It doesn’t disappoint.

4. Another winner is Frugal Fun.  Sarah Dees has organized her webpage into categories: Summer, LEGO,  STEM, etc. Try the STEM Challenges.

5. Exploratorium’s Tools for Teaching and Learning has Watch and Do Science, Tinkering Projects, and Science Snacks.  Below are used books.  My favorites are The Science Explorer, The Science Explorer, Out and About, and The Explorabook.




No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...