Are your kiddos budding ornithologists? There are so many fun activities! I bought a dozen feeder kits for next year’s Science Camp, All the Hits! Lowe’s and Home Depot have kids’ kits. Lowe’s has feeder and house kits. My target price is $5 because I use them for Camp. Buy them on eBay. You might be able to build a feeder or house from scrap wood. We are inept and require a kit, preferably easy, predrilled, with clear instructions.
Have you heard of Identiflyer? Cards fit into the device and play bird calls. (Be sure to slide the switch on before you insert a bird card. Ask me how I know.) The three year old in our lives, Lily, like to take the Identiflyer on to the deck to see if the cardinals will respond. She also like to torment the parakeets in the breakfast room with it. I’m using mine with Camp, next year, too, hopefully in a more educatiinal manner than just a toy. Berlin Bird ID has bird songs, too. My goal is to learn the calls for backyard birds-other than the crow.
Cornell have loads of resources: Monthly Lessons, Lessons and Activities, Free Resources (3-5), and All About Birds. So many activities!
Print and post a Bird List or a Life List. Look for a local guide and list for your area.
Feeling ambitious? After all, it’s only September. Look at this Bird Unit Study.




No comments:
Post a Comment