Wednesday, October 7, 2026

Low Prep: Cabbage Juice Indicator

 Yup.  Another ad.  This time it’s Red Cabbage Indicator.  This lab extracts the pigment from red cabbage leaves and uses them as acid-base indicators.  Indicators are more Chem and Bio—not Physics.  But, if you’re making a cabbage dish, buy a red cabbage.  Kiddos can prepare the indicator solution themselves in a blender—instructions here.  Stand by for a strong odor.


We use powdered red cabbage indicator, instead—even easier to prep.  I have used red cabbage leaves.   The indicator solution is short-lived—only a few hours.  I use powdered cabbage and mix up a batch whenever we do a pH lab.  It’s just more convenient.


If you have one teen making solutions, use the cabbage leaves.  Much cheaper.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Low Prep Labs for the Win!

This is me trying to be encouraging. I’m on the hunt for a huge variety of low-prep, low-cost labs and experiments.  Why?  Many of you are w...