Yes, I'm using the book. Well, a little. The kids are going to work with microscopes this week and finish Experiment 1.2. Modules 2 and 3 have experiments collecting and culturing pond samples. One problem I've had with these samples is locating and identifying the critters on a slide. You can order protozoa, which is expensive. They move so quickly they're hard to identify. The solution is a drop or two of quieting solution. This is adding up. So, my solution is to have the kids look at prepared slides of protozoans first and live pond samples last. I use pond life identification sheets. Tomorrow, the kids are going to do their first POGIL activity: Prokaryotes vs Eukaryotes (and the answer key). POGIL activities are thoughtfully constructed to have kids think their way through a lesson. Ordinarily, you might just have the kids differentiate between prokaryotes and eukaryotes. These exercises require more processing. The activities are intended for small groups of students. I'll let you know how things turn out. If there's enough time, the kids are going to design a lesson to teach kids about microbes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment