Monday, October 5, 2015

Outreach program

Our science class is going to do an outreach program with a group of pre-schoolers.  I'm using materials on hand and wanted to share our agenda.  I have a bunch of hands-on activities I've used successfully.  One lesson is Glo-Germs with these lessons.  We have the book, Germs Make Me Sick.  The activity uses glow powder and lotion to show tots where they missed washing their hands.  I make a point to demonstrate the 'germs' and explain they are pretend.  The UV lamp reveals the UV powder remaining on their hands after they wash.  Another fun activity is UV beads.  The little ones will string the UV beads onto pipe cleaners.  When they step outside, the plain beads change color as they absorb UV radiation.  Next we have grow spheres, which expand in water and a little Instant snow, which is another polymer that expands with water.  I have tornado tubes which make a vortex with 2-L bottles.  The children may keep two in their class room.  We'll make CD spinners, like these., a type of optical illusion.  Lastly we are going to make prints using Sumi Nagashi.  The version I like involves shaving cream, paints, and index cards.



No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...