Okay, we aren't setting any records in our class. Two of the kids were away and we just got two new students. I decided to review the skeletal system and bring out the microscopes and Pasco probeware. First, we all cut out and assembled skeletons for Jayanna and Jemilla. Pita brought a CD with a Bone song she shared while we cut and fastened together until we were over that tune. Yes, we did review all of the bones again! Trust me we know them! I had four microscopes set up with slides of bone, intestine, blood, etc. for the kids. Lydia, one of my biology students, taught them the parts of the microscope (key). We reviewed how to carry a microscope. When I set them up I focused interesting slides, such as the dog flea. This helps to engage the kids immediately; they aren't spending too much time trying to focus. They can learn how to focus next week. Incidently, try Goodwill online. It's a gamble; microscopes are cheap! (Watch the shipping. Be sure to register so you can check the shipping! Goodwill does NOT retain credit information.).
We also spent a good bit of class time with the temperature probes. I set up four stations using both Pasco and Vernier sensors. I used two interfaces, Airlink 2 and Sparklink, with my iPad and Kindle Fire and two temperature probes. I connected my laptop to a Go!Temp probe and free Logger Lite software I'd downloaded. I attached one more temperature sensor to my TI 84 graphing calculator, preloaded with EasyData software. We followed the instructions for Pasco's 'Thermoregulation of the Body', available free on their website. Well to be honest, I showed the kids how to calibrate their temperature sensors. Once I turned them loose, they had a blast with the probes. Next week, when Nora and Gavin return, we'll do the lesson properly. I promised to bring back the microscopes next week, too, for Nora and Gavin. I plan to do the Muscle Fatigue lab next time, too. Below is a guide for a host of elementary level experiments using Spark systems, which are similar to Sparkvue.
Elementary Pasco Guide for Spark Systems
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment