My focus for inquiry-based science instruction is on physical science. Elementary teachers are typically more comfortable with Life or Earth Science. Let's start with some chemistry! How about polymers? There are loads of simple experiments: Flubber, Slime, Oobleck, (Okay, it's a nonNewtonian fluid. Close enough.), Instant Snow, Grow beads or spheres, and Super balls. These activities are easy to perform and usually successful. I think polymers are a good gateway to Chemistry. Start with these lesson ideas for growing spheres from Educational Innovations. These are my 'go to' for outreach events. I set up rotating stations with the materials and experienced teen helpers. The teens demo the activity for the kids and let them experiment. Trust me! These are all fun! Watch the Instant Snow video for a little inspiration.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment