Thursday, March 3, 2022

Apologia Biology: Module 2

 Okay, it does seem late to start Module 2.  We are completing a unit on immunity.  For me, bacteria are a good transition from diseases. I want to review taxonomy, with the Six Kingdom Classification System.  I want to introduce MRS GREN to use for comparative morphology, especially when we study the animal kingdom.  I plan to do a comparison between bacteria and protozoans.  Here is an excellent overview about microbes, called The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly.

 So, I reviewed bacterial taxonomy in the Apologia textbook.  Bacteria can be classified in a variety of ways: shape, oxygen requirements, Gram Stain, and nutrition.  (They can be classified by temperature and pH.)  We are starting here, with this worksheet and the textbook.  I do plan to use the questions from the textbook, which is a novelty for my class.  The kids will work with loads of microbe slides.  Here is a coloring page  of a bacterium.  I have to stop.  During my undergraduate degree in Biology, I took a bunch of classes in Cytology, Microbiology, and Histology.  I doubt the kids share my love of microbes.  (The image is from Shutterstock.)



No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...