Saturday, March 5, 2022

Trends in Science Instruction

Right now, I teach science for the local home-school Co-op.  In a previous life I taught in both private and public schools—mainly private.  I have witnessed many new science programs: BSCS Science Learning, Active Physics,  5 E Model of Instruction,  Project Based Learning (PBL), The Cornell Note Taking System, Writing Across the Curriculum, POGIL, Common Core State Standards, Next Generation Science Standards, (NGSS) and Next Generation Science Storylines.  Over my career, I took part in a number of science initiatives.  The College Board made changes to the AP Science courses by introducing ‘Big Ideas’.  Here, here,  here and here are the ‘Course Frameworks’ for AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Environmental Science, and AP Physics.  Note how the courses are organized around ‘Big Ideas’. Here is a complicated curriculum map  to show how the NGSS can be used in an accelerated model to prepare kids for AP science courses.  

I am a skeptic.  I have always examined new ideas and programs in light of the core science concepts.  I like new ideas, labs, and approaches; they must support core concepts, not substitute for core concepts.  Right now, Next Generation Science Standards emphasize Three Dimensional Learning and promote science lessons like these.  Take a look at this example of a high school, physical science storyline, Why Do Some Things Get Colder (or Hotter) WhenThey React?  

Why am I a skeptic about new science  programs and trends?  Once, at a large public school, I was trained on Active Physics. The training and textbooks were excellent.  However, the high school did not have books for the kids or any of the lab materials.  I contacted the publishers and got a teacher set.  I muddled through Active Physics.  Another issue with new programs is the trends change.  Teachers are expected to drop the older models and embrace the new models.  Now, teachers are expected to drop textbooks and embrace a wide variety of apps and software.  

Instead, I stick to a textbook.  Apologia textbooks have the core topics for Biology, Chemistry, and Physics classes my husband and I teach for the local Co-op.  I use cool ideas from past trainings and workshops all of the time.  I reviewed books, apps, and software for the American Association for the Advancement of Science.  I have never seen an app or game that can replace core concepts.  I think it can be fun to use an app, but not as a substitute for key ideas.  I’m sticking to a textbook and labs and supplementing with fun ideas rather than replacing my curriculum cyclically.




No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...