Friday, June 17, 2022

Why would you do a science camp?

 Good question.  Science Camp is a lot of work.  I save supplies for months: jars, yogurt containers, bottles, yarn, etc.  I plan experiments, create a giant spreadsheet, and  download or print instructions.  Some experiments must be tested in advance.  Personally, I have to gear myself waaaayyyy down before doing Science Camp.  So, why do you bother?  Many kids don’t get to do much science.  One, science is messy.  Home-school, public school, Head Start school, and private schools all tend to avoid messy labs. In one classroom, the kids were given a penny and instructed to write and describe its metallic properties or to see how many drops a penny will hold.  These types of labs do not excite kids.

Several years ago, my home-school friends asked me to do science camp.  I haven’t looked back.  Now that we are out of quarantine, it was a home-school mom who asked me to do a science camp again.  Next week, when the kids have fun, try a few amazing experiments, and run home excited by science, all of the effort will be worth while.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...