Teens in my Co-op Chemistry class are testing several MEL Chemistry kits I bought used from Goodwill online. They’re making a video, too. I asked them to evaluate the kits, as home-schoolers. Are the instructions in the kits easy to understand? Are the experiments interesting? Would a home-school student be able to use the kit without outside help? I’ll post their video once they finish. However, the teens testing the kits remained engaged for hours. I had to kick them out yesterday; their mom was waiting for them with a van-load of their siblings.
I’ve been impressed with the kits. The burner from the Starter kit uses multiple tea candles as a heat source. My husband’s Physics class took Chemistry remotely during COVID. I’m ordering extra chemicals so the Physics kids can do all of the experiments in the MEL kits, too. The MEL experiments tend to be engaging: distilling apple juice, creating tin dendrites, etc. If you can find MEL kits for $10 each, they would make good supplements to any chemistry class. eBay has listings for MEL kits which average $10 per kit with shipping.





No comments:
Post a Comment