Update: I made a video showing how to use the model below to write electron configurations. You’ll be able to tell it’s original content from the quality of the video.
First, let me share this blog post with links and videos. Today, I lectured on the quantum mechanical model and introduced electron configurations. Here is the slideshow I made. Next week the kids are playing Hog Hilton and Electron Configuration Battleship. Today, I used the model shown below to teach how to assign electrons into configurations. I saw the model on social media. Here is a link using similar models to explain how the principles of Quantum Mechanics govern electron configurations. Instead of dominoes or pom poms, I used popsicle sticks with arrows for the electrons. I cannot emphasize how much this model helped the kids understand how to assign electrons into their configurations—even chromium and copper. It also helped to show how the energy levels on the Periodic Table coincide with the energy levels in the configurations.


No comments:
Post a Comment