It’s officially December. Many families Co-ops enjoy an extended break. Let me share a few chemistry labs with a Christmas theme. Your kids are going to be over the moon!
1. Borax Christmas Ornaments uses Borax, the same stuff used to make controversial slime. I was helping with a craft station and made slime. One of the parents asked if I was using borax, the material killing children. I didn’t have an adequate response. Don’t let the kids eat the borax.
2. Snow Globes, Snow Globes, and Snow Globes! Try all three versions. Here are detailed instructions to use a baby food jar and a small ornament to make a snow globe. No, it wasn’t immediately apparent to me that I needed to glue the ornament to the lid. You’ll probably want to seal the lid with hot glue, too.
3. Instant Snow Experiments are fun. Instant snow or sodium polyacrylate are on sale everywhere right now.
3. Reindeer Toothpaste is Elephant’s Toothpaste. Another variation on a classic is Peppermint Oobleck.
4. Kiddos will love Fizzy Ornaments.
5. Make Stained Glass with hard candy: Melted Peppermint Candy Ornaments, Melted Old Fashioned Hard Candy and Christmas Candy Ornaments. The Sweet Science of Candymaking explains the process, which explains why hard candy are called Boiled Sweets in the UK. No, I hadn’t made the connection until I researched boiled sweets. Make rock candy while you’re baking sweets in the oven.








No comments:
Post a Comment