Tuesday, January 21, 2025

Make Genetics Meaningful.

Update, we started the Genetics module with this Punnett Square worksheet.  I teach Punnett Squares, alleles, ratios, phenotypes, genotypes, and vocabulary with problems.  We started with polydactyly, extra digits.  Chickens, cats, and humans can exhibit polydactyly.  Really.  It’s a dominant gene, too.  It’s just rare.  We just dive in and do problems.


 Last year, I finally individualized my Genetics module.  Each kid did genetics problems according to his or her interests.  Wow!  Everyone came away understanding genetics quite well.  This year, I’m doing it again.  I did some research and located tons of different genetics problems and web sites.   Here is a standard Punnett Square worksheet.  Take a look.

1. Superhero Genetic Project

2. Dog Coat Color and Coat Color in Labs

3.  Poultry Genetics

3.  German Shepherds

4. Quail Genetics

5. Rabbit Coat Color

6.  Guinea Pig Genetics

7. Horse Coat Color

8. Blood Types (my favorite)




No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...