Our Co-op teachers are asked all the time about grouping kids into a class. We are a smaller Co-op and get to know kids well. Often, the parents and teachers discuss a child and his or her placement. Some classes lend themselves well for younger kids. For example, Apologia’s Young Explorer Science Series is easily adapted to kids aged six to eleven. I’ve taught mixed-aged groups. It’s best to be able to divide the kids from time to time for best results.
Middle School kids, aged eleven to thirteen, often differ developmentally. However, a bright child can learn Physical Science in seventh or eighth grade; eighth or ninth grade is usually the best time for a teen to take Physical Science. I’m not a big fan of General Science. I think the Young Explorer’s Chemistry and Physics course, Botany, or the Astronomy class is more fun for Middle School kids.
The child’s academic level in high school science often is based on his or her math level. Teens in eighth or ninth grade can usually manage Biology. However, Chemistry requires a mastery of Algebra and some developmental maturity. A bright child can handle Chemistry in tenth grade; most kids should wait until they are at a junior level of reasoning. My husband feels that kids need to have mastered Algebra II before taking Physics; however a motivated teen can tackle Physics simultaneously with Algebra II, typically as a junior or senior. The course requires advanced reasoning.
These are good general guidelines. I have taught an enormous number of children, some extraordinarily gifted. One young friend took eleven AP classes in high school. I struggled to keep him interested as his sixth grade teacher. Use your best judgement and be flexible. If the child is bored to tears, try a harder science subject. If your teen is in tears, ease up!
No comments:
Post a Comment