Note-taking is tough! Many teachers instruct Cornell Note Taking. Personally, this is too formal. What helps is to guide kids to their own note-taking system. Right now I’m teaching Advanced Biology, Ana anatomy class, and helping kids in Geometry class, which my husband teaches for our Co-op. In math, it helps to write, draw, and label—especially in Geometry. Colored pencils help, too. Most of the time, I’m guiding kids to write down definitions, copy notes from the board, and making symbols to highlight important ideas. Make comparison charts. Separate topics with lines or topic titles.
Start with definitions. Have kids write the term and its meaning. Answer the study guide questions. In math, the kids need to copy examples. Learn to add a big circle or Star by concepts which will rear their ugly heads on a test. Here is an article explaining why note-taking is key. In my own experience, written notes are retained better than typed notes. I’m writing my notes on paper by hand before typing them into a slide deck. I find my own grasp is better. Show kids how you make class notes. Below are a few of my notes. In class, I teach with slide decks; we use concept maps and t-charts with our notes. The key point is to write notes down on paper.



No comments:
Post a Comment