Wednesday, October 22, 2014
Apologia: Chemistry Update
This morning the Chemistry class spent the entire time constructing a qualitative analysis scheme, often dubbed, White Powder Lab. I first came across this lab years ago in the Journal of Chemical Education. The basic premise is for the kids to test a series of 'knowns' using a variety of reagents and then use their notes to determine the identity of a second set of 'unknowns'. The 'knowns' we're baking soda, baking powder, cream of tartar, corn starch, Epsom salts, drive-way deicer, Kosher salt, sugar, and plaster of Paris. The test reagents were Phenol Red, universal indicator, iodine tincture, a copper sulfate solution, hot water, cold water, a dilute acid and a dilute base. Once the kids think they have correctly identified the mystery powders, I tell them which are correct; they retest until all of the powders are correctly identified. Lastly, the kids name the powders with both their common and scientific names.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment