Tuesday, October 14, 2014

WA: Earth Science Rocks and Minerals ID

Earth Science reviewed briefly before a lengthy Rock and Mineral ID lab.  They have a quiz on Thursday.  It has been a long time since I last taught Earth Science.  I am scrambling!  The class has discussed mineral properties and their textbook has information about hardness, streak, etc.  I used several resources for this lab: three different publisher's Earth Science textbooks, marked with different charts, the Ward's Rock and Mineral Test Kit with nine different minerals and treated them as 'unknowns'.  I put the names of the rock samples on the board so the kids would know which rocks were available to identify.  In addition to the textbooks, the TOPS Rocks and Minerals #23 had the clearest instructions, especially for 'hardness'.  Additionally, the students had nails, tiles, HCl acid, scales, graduated cylinders, pennies, a UV light, and paper clips.  The class had had a lab on density earlier.  WA has a Classroom Collection of Rocks and Minerals.  (I had bought a UV flashlight for a glo-germ lab, UV LED Flashlight, which requires three AAA batteries.)  The Rock Collection has a sample of fluorite which fluoresces under UV to show the class.  The HCl to test for carbonates is 8% and produces a good reaction.  The class used Flinn, Be a Mineral Detective and the Mineral Indentification Lab handouts.  Really!  When I am uncertain, I tend toward overkill.

No comments:

Post a Comment

National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?

  National Chemistry Week   (NCW) coincides with  Mole Day!   NCW’s 2026 theme is construction.  My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...