This week the Chemistry class started with a Mixture lab and finished a Specific Heat Capacity Lablab, similar to Experiment 2.2, Measuring the Heat Capacity of a Metal using this set, Metals Kit. The problem was that the metals are not identified; it is hard to differentiate between the zinc and iron cylinders. The lab became an 'unknown' lab unintentionally. The kids made simple coffee cup calorimeters and boiled the metal cylinders for at least ten minutes in a large beaker on a hot plate. They also did a Mixture Challenge Lab which is similar to Experiment 4.1. (I had the lab on hand.) The class did a practice ionic nomenclature quiz, Ionic Formula Practice, went over a mini-project called 'Household Chemicals', and were given a Mole Pattern and felt I had on hand to make their own moles. I gave the kids alchemy sample symbols Alchemy as another mini-project. The idea is to combine modern symbols for the elements with alchemy symbols and perhaps an image. There are loads of alchemy symbols because the Alchemists hid their work and invented their own codes or symbols. For some students, this project is too open-ended. I allow them to do Adopt an Element, which is similar. We are going to decorate with their images.
Next week, the kids need more review and practice with nomenclature. The class should be completing Module 3 and starting Module 4. I use Nomenclature Practice worksheets which have answer keys (usually well edited!) A Nomenclature Flow Chart can be helpful. The key is to practice. Here is where it pays off to have memorized the first 75 elements. Next week, the Chemistry class is going to crush cans, Experiment 4.3 with the Physical Science kids, calibrate thermometers, Experiment 2.1 (which we should have done earlier, but didn't), Reaction in a Bag, Physical vs Chemical Change Lab, Chemical Reactions (The lab I have is not available on-line; it has similar reactions to the one posted here.) If time permits, the Chemistry class will create a heat curve with the Pasco equipment I have. A TI 84 graphing calculator is pre-loaded with Easydata; a digital thermometer connects directly to the calculator.Easy Link Any thermometer can be used to create a Heat Curve; since I have both Pasco and TI 84 equipment, we will use it to expose the kids to the technology.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment