Update: We took a graphing calculator quiz, the math pre-assessment, a Periodic Table quiz, and an introduction to the names of equipment. Wooooo! It just takes time to go over all of the answers. For the graphing calculator quiz, I posted data and instructed them to put the data into L1 and L2, graph the data, and calculate the regression. Yeah! With a little help, all of the kids could do it.
I’ve taught Chemistry for over 20 years. So, I have a few ideas about how to begin the class. I’m open to new ideas; there are some activities that work year after year. The intro activities are all lumped into a category called Day One. This year, we began with graphing and experimental design. Now, we’re starting Chemistry.
Day One includes a Math assessment, Safety Contracts, a safety quiz, measures, the names of chemical equipment, Accuracy and Precision Lab, It’s All About Density Lab, and The Koolaid Lab.
Day One can last two weeks. This week, I want to do some assessment. First, I plan to see if the kids can graph a set of data with the graphing calculator, calculate the equation of the line, and produce a regression. Next, the kids made Periodic Table Cards as a summer assignment. I’m going to give them Periodic tables with symbols only to see how many elements they learned by making the cards. I need to go over the names of common lab equipment. After, I’ll review, do a practice quiz, and finally test them on the equipment. As an aside, I let kids retake any quiz or test. In fact, I retest some material until they achieve mastery, usually 85% or better. Because we use the elements so often, I need 90% mastery on about 60 elements. I doubt I’ll finish everything this week. I will keep you posted.
Sorry for not posting photos last week. I was so involved teaching 16 kids how to graph with a TI83/84, I forgot to take photos. I took a few today as the kids were taking their graphing calculator quiz.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
National Chemistry Week is around the corner. Are you ready?
National Chemistry Week (NCW) coincides with Mole Day! NCW’s 2026 theme is construction. My Co-op Chemistry class focuses on Mole Da...
-
The class is completing their Designer Baby blogs. Finally. Yes,I sat on top of them in class. I still think the time investment is wort...
-
The Co-op is reviewing for a series of cell quizzes and beginning with paper plate cell cycle models and mitosis with yarn. The first t...
No comments:
Post a Comment